Skip to main content

The piano is my best friend

Nothing in this world knows me deeper than the piano does.

It has peered through the curtain of my being, and befriended the tiny buddha who rests there. The piano knows my deepest secrets, and my most sacred wisdom. It is an extension of my heart - my heart's worldly limb. When I am communing with this most mystical thing, I marry with myself and I marry with the moment - and then music is born as if by magic.


During my gap year, I naturally came to build quite a strong relationship with the piano, composing about 15 musical works of my own, and really forging the bedrock of an epic musical journey for myself. But of course, I overlooked this more expressive, 'right brain' side of my personality, judging it from the lense of future career prospects. It is widely believed that tackling the path of music as a primary profession is bound to be like chewing tough meat, so I only viewed my piano playing as a mere hobby. When I left to study hospitality management in Queenstown, I pinned my music in the cupboard like that cool jacket that you just can't fit in the suitcase.

Due to various reasons, I found myself entangled in struggle when I was trying to settle into my new life. I realised that the most visceral reason for this was my disconnection from playing music - from embracing a piano. On about day 3, I knew I had made a terrible mistake. My muse was grumpy, and was casting thunderstorms across my mind. He had nothing to sink his dripping teeth into. It quickly became clear to me that I had seriously underestimated just how much of a bond I had with my music and my instrument. I was constantly thirsty to play piano.

I felt terribly embarrassed to speak about it too. I was all ironed up in the clean cut suit and tie which was the college attire, presenting myself as a well put together man - equipped with the latest iPhone, and with a brown satchel bag carrying my computer and lecture papers slung around my shoulder. Sure, I looked 'spick and span', but the real me felt cooped up inside, and all I wanted to do was cry into a piano's shoulder. I felt very silly talking to the college advisor about my issue, but she took to it warmly, and informed me that there was actually a piano in the church right next to the college.


























At last, I had found a friend I could really speak deeply with! When I first embraced this beautiful Yamaha grand piano, it was like stepping into Nirvana. I yielded, surrendering myself to the raw tidal flux of my emotions and my authentic human expression. I simply played music, and out came a gorgeous little melody; it was sweet like morning nectar. When I lifted my head, I saw that a few people had come to sit and listen to my music, faces smeared with joy. It was liberating. I had just alchemized all that accumulated emotion into an art piece and a performance. I couldn't even believe that it actually moved people!

From that day onwards, I was curing myself with a daily dosage of self expression, sneaking away to twinkle on the piano between college lectures. I did this for myself and myself only, but occasionally people would sit down and find their own peace in that danty little church. Many times they expressed their gratitude, and I was stunned to be having an impact on people with something that I had created; something from my soul. Really, I was just letting my feelings flow from the rivers of my heart, cascading into the world through my fingertips.

My respect and love for the piano and music deepened by many leagues. I no longer saw it as just a hobby - I recognised it as a very real part of myself. I was most shocked by how I managed to take the shit I was experiencing and spin it into gold. This is pure alchemy. And that's how I learnt about the true power of having a creative outlet:

A creative outlet can alchemise pain and raw emotions into gold. It can be your saviour. If you have one, cherish it. If you don't, find one, and make it your best friend.

If this entire chapter taught me anything at all, it was that I was meant to be doing music. Perhaps there was more to this whole music and creative expression thing than I ever imagined.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d