Skip to main content

Nature - The Wisest Mystic of them all

Mother nature has always been my greatest teacher. If I say that I moved to Queenstown primarily to study hospitality, I would be denying the full depth of my decision. I had a wild craving for adventure, an itch that just wasn’t being scratched in the big smoke. I wanted to taste fresh lands, and behold new vistas. So, Queenstown was my portal key to nature.
Amidst the clamour of college campus, the stench of my own room and the pressure of lectures I was only half interested in, I needed some place I could call home. This is very important – we need a place where we feel comfortable and safe, so our minds get a chance to rejuvenate. I found mine in the Queenstown gardens.



When I first came upon this scene, Father Time slowed the turning of the cogs, and the Majesty of Mother Nature tore right through me. A single tear rolled down my cheek, heralding a radical shift in how I viewed the world. I glanced around, and the mountains were beaming at me. The deep lake was whispering my name. The trees were dancing in celebration. I had found my true home – it was Nature, and she was welcoming me in.

In the weekdays I was donning my business suit and attending college lectures that focussed on hospitality management. I certainly directed my attention on the subjects at hand, and it was helpful to learn professional food and beverage service, how to manage a hotel’s finances, and a range of other important skills. But this stuff was only concerning a career in hospitality. As my mind was opening up like a budding flower, I started to recognise that a 'career' is seated within a life, and that it was life that we should be cultivating first and foremost. There is so much more for us to learn, like how to harness emotions, insights of the authentic self, and ways of constructing a really meaningful life, to name a few. So I would dive into nature every opportunity I could get, cracking open the casket and letting my true self emerge to learn the ways of the wisest mystic there ever was.




Queenstown is curled up like a purring cat in a realm of raw beauty. There’s entire mountain ranges to graze, forests to kiss and valleys to sing to. I was always awestruck with the endless options of places to explore, and having the freedom to go and do whatever came to mind was thrilling. Sometimes I would go on epic adventures with fellow companions Ben and Callum, risking our lives climbing rock faces and drinking Devils cut bourbon in places like "Hell's Gate" - a cathedral of jagged rocks snarling like sharp teeth. These adventures were fun, but I most enjoyed adventures alone. Venturing into nature alone is a very healing experience, because you get a chance to really meet yourself. In my case, I would surrender to the journey entirely, and let it take me like a dandelion in the wind.



Another benefit of being alone was that I could listen to music. I used music to greatly enhance the journey by synthesising it with the environment I found myself in. The music composed by Jeremy Soule particularly resonated with me, and there's a distinct reason for this. Jeremy Soule composed the soundtracks for legendary video games such as Guild Wars 2, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. He designed the music with beautiful precision, sculpting soundtracks that enhance the living breathing experience of exploring the mystical worlds in said games. Queenstown has very similar landscapes to that of Skyrim, so I figured that if I listened to the same music, the soundscape and the landscape would harmoniously marry each other, and my experience would be heightened. My premonitions proved correct, and what would be merely a 'walk in nature' in my previous paradigm became a vision quest in my new paradigm.


I went to Queenstown seeking adventure, and that's precisely what I found. Yet, I turned out to discover so much more than I originally imagined. I was shocked by just how much wisdom is imbued in Nature, and how much I could learn about myself by venturing forth into the school of life alone. In general, I was finding a lot more peace, contentment, joy, and clarity with more trips into nature. So in this regard, it can be deeply healing for everybody. But if you are concerned with embodying your highest self and building a rich and meaningful life, there is no better inspiration than mother nature. You see how alive, how vibrant and abundant nature really is. It's so harmonious, so deeply wise. It's the 'nature' within us that we need to be cultivating, and we have a perfect role model waiting for us just outside the door. I was so heavily inspired by nature in Queenstown that I vowed to become as strong as the mountains, as abundant as the forests, and as calm as the lakes.

Nature is our true home. It can heal us, inspire us, and demonstrate our true harmonious rite to life. Embrace it whole-heartedly, and discover for yourself the wisdom that is nestled there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d