Skip to main content

When I left home, Life punched me in the face

My time living in Auckland city had reached its end. I had just concluded a gap year of fully embracing the full time working life, walking away from my job feeling triumphant, and with all the skills I needed to face the big wide world. When I looked around Auckland, I realised that its sprawling suburbs and clustered city high-rises were not the big wide world I was so eager to dive into. I felt like I already conquered as much as I could on my home turf - as if it was the tutorial zone in the grand game of life. There was so much more to see - so I packed my bags and headed to pursue the path of hospitality in Queenstown - where proud mountains abound and lakes shine like cherished crystals. 




With my whole life in a suitcase, I traversed the country aboard a pleasant Air New Zealand flight. Blessed with a brilliantly blue summer day, I stepped off the plane and filled my entire lungs with the abundant fresh Qi of the South - it was rejuvenating like spring water. Arriving in Queenstown was deeply exhilarating. My sense of adventure had reached its pinnacle, and I was beyond excited to launch into the next chapter of my life in the heart of the South Island. The mountains are the titans of this land; the protectors, the wise masters. When I gazed at their magnificence, I felt an undeniable spiritual connection, as if a very beautiful chord had been plucked within my heart. However, it was quickly forgotten – usurped by the big excitement of college.

It was the college life that I was most excited for. I had spent the past year developing my social skills, confidence, and self-esteem – things I lacked in high-school, which had me feeling like I missed out on the realm of partying, social antics and fun. With these things now in check, I was more than ready to embrace the college life and all that it entailed. Four night benders? Rapid fire vodka shots? Late night McDonalds loitering? Count me in! I couldnt wait to be a respected member of the group for once – perhaps I could be the life of the party, or a friend to many. Essentially, I wanted to put the character I had built to the test. In my mind, I had everything figured out seamlessly, what could possibly go wrong?


Day one of college, and I had already been defeated. The proud pedestal I was standing on was obliterated, and I came tumbling down, together with all my confidence, social spark and self-belief. When the fantasy of moving to the most beautiful place in the country to build my dream life faded, I was faced by the brutal reality of my circumstance. 

I mingled with the crowd enthusiastically, who were collectively embracing their new-found independence with alcohol, parties, and nightclubs. I actively involved myself, yet with each passing day, I felt more and more excluded from the big buzz of the group, and failed to live up to the social expectations I had set for myself. And I couldnt even find solace in my own room. Fate put me with the smelliest guy I have ever met as my roommate, who thought that showering meant masking the coat of summer body-odour with half a can of lynx. The room was intoxicated with a sweet and sticky odour, and I had to put up with this and the uninspired lummox of a man, for 3 months! It didnt help that I had to attend college classes everyday in a suit and tie, and with my best attitude. 

I felt backed against a wall, and powerless. I had made some friends, but I just met them and I didnt want to unload my personal problems onto them. I had no true way of expressing the raw emotions I was feeling, and they just welled up inside, like clots of blood. Worst of all was that I didnt have my best friend to turn to – the piano. Life was the hardest it had ever been, and I was so lost for about 2 weeks that I couldn't even turn to the flourishing nature for guidance.

Ive never experienced a blow to my ego as significant as this. But in fact, it was very important for my development. My past belief system needed to be wiped clean. I was out in the big wide world now, and if I was to learn any lessons at all, I had to relinquish all of the things I thought I knew about myself and how the world worked. I thought I had prepared myself for this, but nothing can prepare you for the harsh lessons that you need to learn. It was humbling to realize that the entire model I was using for my life was fundamentally flawed – I was relying too much on my external circumstances for my happiness. And when these things failed me, I didnt have the true inner resources to sustain my wellbeing. Suddenly, the coin was flipped, and I started to see what I really needed to be working on.

I had to climb my way out of the self-imposed bullshit I was stuck in, like clawing out of quick sand. But when I emerged, I was reborn from the ashes of my past belief system like a phoenix. 
And there I was, in the heart of the mountains, undergoing true self transformation. Months later, the pain and misery was replaced with gratitude, because I came to learn that if none of that had happened, I wouldnt have evolved into the person I am today. And I learnt an extremely valuable life lesson because of it, that I will hold for the rest of my years:

Tribulations are important because they challenge us to break away from tired old paradigms, and help us step into greater versions of ourselves. 

I journeyed to Queenstown to study hospitality management, but in fact, I was there for a much deeper reason. I was there to truly find myself. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d