Skip to main content

Living the dream?

Never in my lifetime would I have thought to end up in the embrace of the Great Barrier Reef. But there I was - strolling through an arch way of palm trees on Hamilton Island, absorbed in the magic and wonder of the world around me. It was some kind of paradise! I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming!



It was part of the college plan - to accrue 8 months of hospitality work experience in an internship position. Hamilton Island just happened to be one of the destinations on the list of choices, and I was intrigued by its mystique and beauty. The pictures on google were enough to charm me, and looking at them was like tasting maple syrup – I was being seduced. When I think about it, it's quite a peculiar ticket that I was offered. But I didn't question it, and within only 2 months of making the decision, I was already on the plane descending into this turquoise wonderland.


I started working in a crowded pizzeria on the marina, and sailed smoothly into a very interesting lifestyle on the island. For the first few weeks, it was actually hard to make sense of. My friend just introduced to me Todd Terje's 'It's Album Time' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRD0fb2kBg), and I spent my first week strolling around the island having my mind absolutely blown to smithereens. I couldn't deny that this place was pretty damn cool. Golden beaches, sunburst cocktails, dancing palm trees, golf buggies, cheeky cockatoos. It was both the most exotic and the most random place I had ever been to in my life.

About two months into the experience, I spent my first full day in the wild Australian bush which inhabits the main body of the island. Amidst the intense Queensland humidity, I journeyed to all the points of interest, and was enthralled by how raw the island really was. It was claimed by such rugged greenery - entangled and looming over rocky undergrowth. It felt ancient - almost sacred. Hamilton Island is cocooned in Great Barrier Reef after all – the worlds largest living ecosystem and one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. I sensed that this area had a much deeper undercurrent – an essence.

After being enraptured by nature, I strolled back into the main resort area, and it was sparkling like a newly cleaned window. It looked a little bit different – as if I had been wearing goggles before and now they were off. The first thing I noticed was two men on a crane trimming the palm trees, and it struck me as something I would see in a cartoon. It looked like they were giving the island a haircut. I gazed around at the bean-shaped pools, the romantic seaside bungalows, the cute golf buggies - something seemed oddly fishy about all of this. It was pristine like a polished jewel – ‘perfection’. It was almost as if we had come up to greet a wise old being who was sitting in meditation, and put make up on his face. I started to wonder about all of this – because this place was what so many people were calling “the dream”. 




I started talking more with the people I was putting pizza and souvlakis in front of – inquiring into the mapping out of their adventure to Hamilton Island. I was shocked. Some families were telling me they had spent four years saving up through their tiring jobs just to spend two short weeks in paradise. My mind was boggled. They kept telling me that I was “living the dream” as if ‘the dream’ was not something that they themselves could attain - like a child who could only get to sit on the window sill and gaze out and the lush pastures, but never get to taste them and frolic about. I felt compassionate to these people and wished them a most relaxing holiday – I couldn’t even imagine how much grinding and stress they struggled through just to finally arrive at their dream destination. 

Yet I was living there, still confused as to what "the dream" was really all about.

Things were starting to get strange by month four; twisted like red liquorice. My job was getting stale, and I was running out of places to explore on the island. I found myself turning to my saturated thoughts and imagination as if they were drugs, and I started to lead myself astray. I marooned myself in unrequited love, and was experiencing very turbulent emotions and thoughts. At one stage, I felt hollow and drained of all my zest for life. What kind of dream was this? It felt like I was going the opposite direction to my ultimate bliss! 

I learned that 'the dream' is not something external to us, but is actually derived from within, and cultivated. It's a connection to Life that is so beautiful and profound that every day can become the dream.


In my case, I had work to do! Inner work - work on the self and all of it's turbulent emotions. Work on my skills and true capabilities. So I planted seeds - habits like daily meditation, studying of important concepts regarding self actualisation and spirituality, and a thorough investigation into my heart. 


So, I encourage you to discover the real dream - that life you've always wanted to live, which is embellished with all the things you love to do - and go in that direction! Don't just spend a bunch of money just to get handed a picture of the jungle - bring the jungle to your very adobe. Plant the seeds, and watch as the vines of a truly rich and inspiring life curl around everything that you do, empowering them.

Here's one of my favourite tunes by legendary jazz artist Chick Corea, on his album 'Return to Forever'. Please, I invite you to enjoy 'What Game should we play today' - a heart touching song that beautifully sums up this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi5Y485bp6E

"There's a way you can find it
It's within you, can't you see
Find the truth, it's not impossible all together
What game shall we play today??"

-Neville Potter and Chick Corea





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au