Skip to main content

How I Became a Writer

I was very excited when I recognised that writing was part of my calling. It opened up a whole new dimension in my life, that of character and story.



I eagerly recalled all of the story ideas that I had conceived in my past, and they captivated me. As I walked down the silky beach churning sand between my toes, my mind was actually detailing gruesome battle scenes between powerful armies. During work, as I was carelessly waving around bowls of boiling hot mussels above the heads of flustered customers, I was thinking about mighty dragons and their masters.

I spent months in this mode, believing that I was doing something very good for myself by cultivating these stories and characters in my mind. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but as a matter of fact I was infatuated with the stories of my imagination. I couldn't stop thinking about them and talking about them with my close friends. It was like a drug - I had become a junkie and was completely hooked. I was sucked more and more into the vortex, the fantasy. And it was months before I realised the fatal mistake I had made: I was designing an entire fantasy world with leagues of epic characters, but none of if was being written! My 'great' ideas were just castles in the sky.

I was swimming in my own dreams about becoming a writer and writing this magnificent story for the world. But when I tried to meet pen with paper, I drowned every time. I just couldn't seem to write anything, which was unbelievably frustrating.

I needed to do something about this, and one day I faced a dramatic reconciliation. The Prophecy of Pilkenhorn, which had been a friend of my imagination for the past 3 months, was now an enigma that was taunting me. I couldn't go on like this, so I committed to a challenge: I would go down to the Marina cafe every single day, and not leave until I had one page of writing completed. Easy solution, I thought.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. Writing just one damned page was like trying to squeeze water out of a brick. I didn't know where to start, or even what to write about. My mind just pondered about, and the empty page stared up at me, unimpressed.


The resistance I felt to writing was like the weight of a million mountains. I told myself I was the worst writer ever, and when I produced some words on the page, my belief was disclosed. I was a hopeless! Through my very own eyes, I was reading the ramblings of a fool - it was excruciating. I went to the cafe feeling hopeful, but I walked away quivering.

Looking back upon this time through hindsight, however, I have discovered that this was all part of the process. In fact, it was the most important part of the process.

I was not going to the cafe every day to get good at writing. This was not the case at all. First and foremost, I needed to BE a writer before I could have any chance of getting better at it. So, before the actual writing itself, I needed to cultivate a HABIT of writing.

I needed to walk the tightrope and REALLY become a writer.

I found this to be a powerful insight into habit building. Sometimes we try to implement habits, and they last for a week or two, but then they kind of taper off, and are left behind in the dust. As stated by the Oxford dictionary, a habit is "a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up." So, what I discovered is that:

If you want a new habit to stick, start BASIC, and focus on your ability to actually do the habit first - making the practice habitual. 

You want it to become a daily routine practice, something you are disciplined about, and do as automatically as brushing your teeth. Once it's part of auto-pilot, that's when you can start exploring with the habit, and taking it to new heights.

After about a month into the writing challenge I set myself, I had become somewhat of a writer. I certainly wasn't good at writing, but at least I wrote something on the page. It was something I could work with, and this is precisely where I needed to be. I started to correct some of the problems that I had incurred when I was living life in my thoughts and not word to word on a page.

And as a matter of fact, it wasn't the fantasy stuff that I was writing. I had banished it from my mind for being too much of an anomaly, and closing me off from the entire galaxy of stars. Actually, it was like inception - these fictional stories were happening within another story - the story of my own life! And that's the main story I knew I needed to be focussing on.

And so, I discovered journalling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au