Skip to main content

Discovering the Warrior Within


Tucked away in the serenity of Hamilton Island, there was no doubt that I was being coaxed and inspired. Parts of my soul I had long since stored away were now coming back to greet me, treasures hidden within my being. I had to shuffle the sand around to reveal them and their gleam. And it was the dawn of the internal warrior shining brightly in my eyes that I am most thankful for!



It was under a full moon when the cogs were set into motion. Earlier that day, I was invited to a gathering under the stars by my good friend Josiah who I spoke about in the previous story. I knew that it was an occasion I couldn't miss - so I went along. It was a group of people celebrating the moon on the waterfront - just the kind of thing I love! Good vibes were flowing like rivers in the air, and we shared humorous anecdotes and laughter all soothed by the strum of a guitar and moon beams bouncing off the water.

One guy suddenly exploded with energy as if possessed by the moon. He bounced up from his position like like a spring, running around the field quite sporadically. There was something about the way he expelled his energy that struck a fond chord within my soul. Within moments, I was reminded  of my childhood, to a time when I used to practice Kung fu. The memory hit me like a plot twist to a movie. It was a potent memory, and spilled it's alchemy throughout my whole body. Within moments, I got up and launched myself into a set of Kung fu movements that I somehow remembered. To my surprise, I performed the motions almost seamlessly, although lacking the same flexibility and lustre I once had as a child.


Within a single minute, sweat beads were rolling down my temples, and I was exhausted. I collapsed back into the circle of surprised faces, feeling the best I had felt since arriving on the island months before. It was as if I just released a coffin of bricks from inside my body. One guy was looking at me with an extra spark of fascination. "You're body has lots of Qi!" he exclaimed. I was puffing uncontrollably, and could only gesture to express my interest. I had heard of Qi before, but didn't actually know what it was. "It's energy," he stated. "By the looks of those movements, you can command the Qi, and let it flow through your body almost effortlessly." Pure astonishment shook me from inside out. Had I had just pried open Pandoras box of my soul?


Kung fu was the king of my mind for the next few weeks. I was mostly astonished by the fact that this power and ability had been within me for all these years, dormant. While it was great to rediscover my kung fu abilities, it actually had much wider implications than I anticipated at the time.

I found my own little Dojo on the island - a pleasant wooden structure overlooking this secret pond in the corner of the island - and started practicing Kung fu again by myself. My mind and attitudes had matured a lot since I trained Kung fu as a kid, and I was now approaching the practice from a deeper perspective. I saw it as much more then just a way I could train my body and stay fit and healthy - I saw it as a way I could harness the inner warrior, become more virtuous, and cultivate my character. I wanted to improve this side of my being - by focussing on attributes like endurance, strength, courage, tolerance, faith, compassion, and the will to follow my hearts true calling. The life I was envisioning for myself required a lot of me, and I had to step up to the challenge. So I started practicing Kung fu!

But even more profound was the calling from within. Kung fu was just one element among many of my past, and if it managed to emerge many years after I stopped practicing, I wondered how many other parts of my authentic self were hiding within the inner reaches of my being. And then it became clear to me:

To have a better understanding of who I am, I needed to look within my past for the secrets.

I knew that I could develop a better understanding of my authentic self and what I'm here to do in this lifetime by undertaking the journey within. It required a lot of rummaging through all the baggage, but I knew that tucked away somewhere in that old chest of draws was an insignia that would enlighten me on the way forward.

You can seek advice from gurus and masters for years, or wait for the answers from the universe, but nobody is going to hand you the key to unlock the secrets of your own being. The journey within is always beckoning, and only you can make the decision to walk it. Add the inner warrior to your party, and you are bound to succeed!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au