Skip to main content

I will go completely insane if I stop writing...

I have a serious condition. I’m a writer…

 


I don’t know how this came to be, or why. But it’s just a fact of my life. I can’t help but write, and write, and write, and write some more. So many words spill out of me that I wonder if the trees and the clouds and the earth and the soil and the sea of my imagination are all composed of words. I bleed my words. Into my journals, through my fingers and into my computer. It is one way I can make sense of life, this puzzle. 


I write about absolutely everything. My journal reveals all, and I am very protective of it nowadays, because it is the only thing that will listen to me, truly listen to me as I rant about my frustrations, as I try to navigate the storm of emotions that rages on within me, as emotions are prone to do, and as I express gratitude when I tame that storm and guide it back home, or channel it into art. My journal has compassion for me, as it watches on while I fall into the same traps that I have fallen into time and time again, and will once again help me get back off the ground and dust myself off so that I can proceed with my life. My journal is always there, always with me as I traipse about Dunedin, as I quest about the South Island. It is my companion, my ultimate companion, and so long as I have my journal, I am complete. There will be no single thing or single person outside of myself that will provide me with the happiness and contentment that I seek. I will find it in the silence and the solitude, as I string words together into sentences, into paragraphs.


I will go completely insane if I stop writing. It has become like breathing.


Most people know me as a musician. And I am a musician. Music is another way I seek to understand and describe the world. I play a lot of music. I sometimes wonder, though: Have I written more words in my life, or played more musical notes? I would place a bet and say that I have written more words, which is hard for me to wrap my head around, but I am sure that it is indeed the case. Writing came first. I started writing when I was seven, or eight, or nine. I can’t quite remember. But before I ever touched the piano, and before I even wielded a drum stick, I wrote words. I wrote various poems, and then I started writing my first book, which was about some moody orphan character in a moody lighthouse. After that I started writing my second book, which was about some mad Writer whose imaginary worlds would be accessible through magical doors in the basement of a rundown house, a basement which a couple of kids stumble upon. And then I started writing my third book, which was about a character called Jeremiah Pilkenhorn who lived his whole life within the confines of a wall and believed that he understood Life, until a character called Cordell appeared, to take Jeremiah outside of the wall and into the big wide world. I never finished these stories. But the important thing is that I started. And all before the age of 12.



Maybe I was destined to write. I definitely had no choice in the matter. It was either write, or… write. And I sucked for a long time. But that’s only through the lens of ‘art’ and ‘quality’, or ‘technique’ and ‘tradition’. But writing can be so much more. And I had to sit down here today to write this passage on writing because I want to inspire my friends and fellows to start writing. It doesn’t have to be good. It is the greatest tool I ever found for exploring the self, delving into the mind, solving problems of the heart, understanding the world, chipping away at the block. And I must share this, as I have always shared my writing, even when it was awfully saturated in my attempt to sound poetic. I read some of my earlier stories and I detest my earlier prose. I tried too hard to write like I knew how to write but in trying to write like I knew how to write I only ended up writing doggerel. But this is all through the artistic lens. Don’t pay a mind to the artistic lens, unless you want to become a Creative Writer. Write to write. Not for some artistic pursuit, or some worldly achievement. These things are not as important as understanding our selves. Write to explore yourself. 


I realised this year that I don’t have the time to worry about what people think about me or my writing. These fears only hold me back from expressing myself. Our world is troubled and it needs our help. I have at least discovered this truth for myself, that Writing is an immensely powerful tool, and it is then my duty to help others see that, and start their own writing journey. 


Become a writer. Become a writer. Become a writer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d