Skip to main content

I have chosen to go all in

 Ah the glorious in-between.

I’m waiting for a video file to upload so that I can proceed with my new edit. And I find myself in the in-between. I instinctively went to my browser and loaded Facebook, and then Instagram. My compulsive urge to return to these sites has become a lot worse recently, ever since I decided to share myself and my work again, in February. I guess I’ll write about that.


I take us back to 2018, the year I dub ‘the most epic fail year of my life’, and it absolutely was. I was so naive back then, and I adamantly refused to get a job because I thought I could ‘make it’ as a musician. In my efforts, I ended up on the welfare benefit, scrounging for my next dollar and picking up the pieces of a shattered life purpose. My hopes and dreams seemed to obtainable, so possible to achieve, but how foolish was I, thinking that Life was so QUICK. It’s not. I was beginning to explore themes such as Life Purpose and Mastery, and I had even called my Memoir and life-long writing project 'The Heroes Journey', based upon the archetypal hero leaving home in search of a higher thing, finding purpose, finding spirituality.. But Life Purpose, Mastery, The Heroes Journey and Spirituality are subjects of a lifetime. They take decades to cultivate and nurture. And for good reason. They strike at the core of the life journey, as I see it, and they give context and meaning to our lives. Of course they take time to cultivate and nurture. If anybody could just take a ‘Mastery’ capsule and one day become the world’s best Jazz Saxophonist, their music would have no meaning, because there was no journey. Maybe one day somebody will invent a Mastery Capsule. The future is catching up to us. Who knows what people are going to invent? If there was a Mastery Capsule, would you take it? Or would you opt for the Lifetime-of-practice approach? 


It is an interesting thing to think about.




I needed that year, to knock some sense into me. That was 4 years ago, and I still haven’t technically ‘made it’ as a musician. That is to say, it takes a long time. Anyway, I wanted to write about my use of social media. Throughout the epic fail year, I was on instagram all the time. It was an addiction, a third eye watching my life and projecting it to the world. I would film everything and put it on my story. One day I looked at something I had posted, and I just thought ‘who is this idiot?’ I was putting on a character - it wasn’t me. It was some fool who thought he was funny. Maybe he was funny. But most likely he was just making people cringe away from their phones. After that realisation, I stopped using instagram, and I would only post on there when I had made a new video for my Youtube channel. But then one day, I stopped sharing my videos too. Eventually, I became so self-conscious about the character I was playing in all of these games that I stopped sharing myself and my work entirely. 


That completely changed in February this year. I came to this realisation that humans judge humans - it’s just what we do. Even if I didn’t share myself and my work, and posted the odd picture about this or that, people would still judge me and my post. So why not just put myself out there, share myself absolutely, share my work absolutely, and damn the thoughts of the other? Why should I give those thoughts bearing over my life anyway? I don’t anymore. I’m engaging in my crafts with a roaring commitment this year, and sharing myself and my work with reckless abandon. I have to. I have no choice but to share myself and my work, because it’s like oxygen to me now. I’ve always had an intense desire to share my work, ever since I was a kid. I guess it’s natural. 


Sometimes I get self-conscious about how people are perceiving me online, but then I remember that I have no control over the thoughts of others. I can only control how I live my life. So I should hope to live it well, continue making art, continue sharing that art in a hope that it will move someone in some way, perhaps inspire them to create their own art, or engage in some creative project, or perhaps start exploring their own Life Purpose, or Mastery, or whatever. I don’t know. I can’t control the influence of my work either. I can only control how much of myself I put into my work. 


And I have chosen to go all in. 


Anyway, my file just finished uploading (finally… 4K Files, I’ll tell you what…) It’s time to work on this new video. Have a great day, and thanks for reading. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d