Skip to main content

A Puddle of Puke and a Broken Key

Things were going well.

I had finally made my first music video for Youtube, 'Stuck on Her', and although the online response fell far short of my expectations, I was proud of what I created and how I created it. Recording piano music outside with the additional flavour of beautiful scenery was going to be my thing, I decided, and with that I would grow my Youtube channel from the ground up. Moreover, I had finally resigned my ambition to achieve financial independence, and was now on the hunt for a full time job. It seemed to take the pressure off.

Things were going well… Until the morning of May, the 19th.

I stammered awake. My head felt like a balloon filled with cement, crushing my pillow. The air in my room tasted stale. And strangely, I was somehow more tired than when I went to sleep. Dropping my hand to the side of the bed, I fumbled for my phone. It could have been 8am, or 2pm… My hand dipped into something wet and chunky. I pulled up my hand, but I didn’t have to look at it to know what it was. The putrid smell flooded my nostrils before I could refuse it. Puke.



I rolled over to have a look. It was indeed a sizeable splattering of vomit, with entrails slithering down the side of the bed. It was difficult not to smack my forehead; thankfully I didn’t, with a finger-full of chunder. Idiot! I kicked away the covers and launched myself out of the bed, awkwardly minding my dirty hand. I tried to rush, but there was something blocking the door. My keyboard! “What the ..?!” My Casio Px5s - the very keyboard I was to build my Youtube channel with - lay upside down on the floor, shoved against the wall. Befuddled, I momentarily moved it to the side and dealt with my spew-finger in the bathroom first. And then hurried back.

It lay there like a dead body, the keyboard. I knelt by its side and eased it back to its front; the keys sighed as if they had been hurt. One of them didn’t even return to its normal place. It just stayed there, defiantly stuck down in place, broken. I slumped with the keyboard in my arms, its broken key as lifeless as the vomit-puddle that plagued the side of my bed. It all swirled around as if in mockery: the smell, the thunder between my ears, the confusion as to what on Earth happened that night. I shouldn't have drunk last night dammit! I dropped my head. “Alcohol did this!!” 



It was rock-bottom. It was the worst I had felt all year. In one fowl swoop, I had broken my keyboard, crushed my ambition to make videos, and spoiled my dignity with a smattering of vomit by my bedside. Cleaning it up was misery. How I hated alcohol. How I wished I had never drank so much the night before. Oh, and how much money did that cost me? Money I don’t have! Stupid fool! I scooped up my sick in a gloved hand, shovelling it into a bag. It was disgusting. It left a stain the size of a large pancake on the carpet, and the smell lingered.

But never mind the vomit. It was the broken keyboard key that frustrated me the most. It happened to be the low E that was stuck in place - one of the keys I used most, for many of the songs I was hoping to record over the next few months. How was I going to film and record my songs now? I needed my low bass E! Grumbling to myself, I walked to the store and purchased a screw driver. “What’s it for buddy,” the guy behind the counter inquired. “Surgery,” I told him, and stalked out. I wasn’t joking - I was about to conduct surgery on my keyboard; take a look inside and see if I could solve the problem. On the crumby carpet of our flat, the Pit, I lay it down and began removing each individual screw, of which there was almost a hundred. Inside was a confusing jumble of electric boards, wires, plastic knobs and things I couldn’t even identify. It was no use. I couldn’t solve the problem - I was likely making it worse. There were less screws when I put it back together.

And that was the moment that I accepted the ultimate failure. I knew it was coming. I knew that my ‘Quest’ was failing from when I returned back from my first busking mission with less money. I knew it was a failure when I couldn’t stop spending money at cafes. I knew it was a failure when my first video only got 30 views. But I didn’t want to admit it, clinging to this lifestyle, clinging desperately. In hope. In frantic hope. But now, slumped by my broken keyboard, I admitted it fully and completely.

I failed.

— — 

It was time to get serious about fixing things. I was trying to get a job. In fact, I had already been to one interview already - quite an extensive one, too - but I wasn't the person they were looking for. My friend helped me get that interview, and the whole situation was shaping up to be all too fortunate. Things don't work that way... I was going to have to take matters into my own hands and solve my own problems. The job hunt was now on.

Tucked into my little corner desk, my creative nest in the Pit, I began adjusting my CV again, choosing the right words for a job in Hospitality. I pulled out the Diploma of Hospitality Management - the one I said I wouldn't need but now desperately relied on - and slipped it into my bag. It was time to print the CV's. Hefting myself out of the pit, bag slung across my shoulders, I headed out into the sunlight. Town was busy with people going about their daily business - normal people, doing normal people things. I wanted to be like them now. Screw the ‘Quest’. It was never going to work anyway.

I took myself to the Internet cafe down the road - the cramped, outdated one near the octagon - and took my seat at the same computer I sat before when I last came. That was 3 months prior, when I was printing out pictures of my piano idols to adorn my creative space; when I was filled to the brim with enthusiasm and excitement for my new Quest in life. Best I forget about all that... I opened my email and loaded my CV; printed 20 copies. It cost me 3 dollars. Finally, an expense that actually mattered. I staggered onto George street, the main stretch of Dunedin, clutching my stack of CV's. With all the cafes and eateries down this way, I'm bound to get a job! I told myself optimistically, and began on my way.

Finally, I was on the right path, and making the right moves. And yet, I couldn't stop thinking about how I was I going to fix my keyboard. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d