Skip to main content

A Graduation in Queenstown

The tie was trying to choke me, and if my pants were any tighter they would be draining the blood from my legs. The suit was too damn tight, and I felt silly to be in a suit and tie anyway. Hopefully the ceremony wouldn’t take too long; I wanted to be out of this second skin and back into my colourful jacket!

Six months had passed since finishing my studies at Queenstown Resort College, and one of the requirements of the Hospitality Management class was to wear a suit and tie to college every day. Back then it didn’t bother me too much, because it actually fit me. This one didn’t… After re-adjusting the tie, I wiped the foggy mirror with my cuff. I supposed I looked okay… Bang bang “Hurry up. Mum says we need to go now or you will be late,” my sister said, voice muffled. Late… Graduation was the last thing I wanted to be late to.

“Okay, okay!” I hastily sprayed the cologne and hurried out of the bathroom and down the stairs. I caught a brief glance out the window - it was a panorama of the Remarkable Mountains and Lake Wakatipu, so picturesque that I just wanted to sit there on the stairs and soak it all in. Mum made sure the Airbnb had only the most stunning views. “What’s the point of coming to Queenstown if you stay in a place that doesn’t have a view?” She had said. I plonked down on the couch and struggled to pull socks over my still wet feet. It looked like the others were waiting for me in the car… Waiting for me, and it was my graduation! Shit.. Tying my laces, I started to get anxious, picturing everything going wrong, imagining me fumbling as .. “Come on honey! You’ve gotta be there in 5 minutes!” I shook my head and tied the final lace. Mum seemed more stressed then I was. “Yeah yeah I’m ready.” Grabbing the graduation gown, we were out the door.

The car was stuffy with all of us jammed in there, and it still had that distinctive hired-car smell. “You’re gonna be late ya gumby,” Daniel chuckled. It was good to have my brother and sister here, but not when they added fuel to the fire. He was right though. Judging by the time, I was already late! “Drive faster!” 

Toppling from the car outside the front of the college, I jogged and fastened the gown at the same time, expecting to see the procession already walking down the street. Seeing only a handful of my old classmates standing outside the college made my heart skip a beat. It had started! I rushed down to them. “Francesca! What’s up? Has it started already?” The words tumbled out of my mouth. “No,” she giggled. “Wait, so I’m early??” I couldn’t believe it. It turned out I had the time wrong by 15 minutes… At least it was 15 minutes early rather than late! All my old classmates began arriving, dressed to perfection, looking almost regal with the red scarf and graduation gown draping over them. It was a re-union. After 15 minutes, a set of students bearing flags began marching down toward the road, garbed graduates following. The procession had begun.

The graduation ceremony moved through Queenstown’s main street, a slow river. Town’s folk and tourists watched from the footpath, some perplexed, others taking photos; the parents of the graduates unmistakable. I was catching up with my friend Kate as we flowed with the graduates, the tail of our gowns dragging behind us. “I decided that I’m not getting a job this year,” I began telling her. “I’m just trying to do.. music, you know?” She nodded. “Although it’s a lot more challenging than I thought. I came here 2 weeks ago for my first busking mission, but returned with even less money!” Just then, my parents caught me from the sidewalk, mum wielding a smile, dad wielding a camera. “Ah Josh! Look here, here!” I obeyed… And just as soon, I melted back into the other graduates, hiding. 



A memory struck me as we walked past the central bus stop. That was where I first stumbled out of the bus into Queenstown, a young student trying to stop his suitcase from rolling away, not knowing what awaited him in this strange mountain town, not knowing who I would become, and what I would learn. I only enrolled in the class of Hospitality, and quickly realised that the ways of Destiny enrolled me up in a much greater ciriculum. The biggest lesson I learned in these years was that what I was studying college was not the most important thing. The most important study is that of ourselves: the study of who we are, what our purpose is in this lifetime, and how to cultivate our minds and our hearts. 

I was now comfortably on the other side of my studies in Hospitality - robed in black and red - walking to the end of the street and into the hall - smiling back at the students welcoming us in - being guided down the aisle - taking my seat with the other graduates - awaiting my summons. It was all too victorious. Was I forgetting my other classes? I had turned away from a future in Hospitality Management to walk my own path - to pursue my own Quest. I had music to compose and perform, stories to tell. Myself to master. But those things were pushed to the back of my mind. I needed to focus. I didn’t want to miss my name being called… Eventually it came. “Joshua Botting.” 

Just as quickly as my name was announced, I was on the other side of the stage, clutching proof that I had indeed done enough to be considered a Hospitality Management graduate. And just like that, it was done. Wait. No it wasn’t. I’m forgetting the canapes, the champagne and beer, the crowded room and the light conversation, the photos, the just-in-case photos, the photos with mum, the photos with… 

It was a relief to shake off my suit. 

— — —

I sat there on the couch clutching the certificate, reading my name printed in fancy lettering. That was it. That was my ticket into the world of Hospitality. It was my key into a career as a hotel or restaurant manager. I felt immense gratitude for Queenstown Resort College, not because I now had a Diploma, but because it was my bridge to Queenstown, where I began walking the path I was destined to walk. Queenstown is where I discovered my Life Purpose; my Quest. The certificate was like a feather in my fingers; I placed it on the coffee table and smiled up at the mountains. I wasn’t going to need it.

“You ready?” Dad said, keys jingling in his hands. “Yeah. Do you think you could grab my amp?” He nodded, grabbed my amp, and went to the car. I pulled on my colourful jacket - it was cozy, and fit perfectly. I hauled my keyboard onto my shoulder, and grabbed my camera. It was time to go and make my first proper video. It was time to take action on my Quest, and start building my platform as an Artist!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d