Skip to main content

"A small leak will sink a Great Ship"

We had just landed in Dunedin from the SHEEP band tour, and I had never felt such bubbling excitement to launch into the next chapter of my life. All we were doing was driving through the city, and yet I still felt that excitement nestling in my bones. This is the place where I am going to build my Quest lifestyle, I told myself eagerly. Dunedin was the place that I was going to establish my own self-made career as a Musician and a Writer, to achieve financial independence by doing what I was born to do. 

I should have been anticipating our final performance of the SHEEP tour. But there from the passengers seat of my own car, I was instead taking a mental note of all the cafes dotted around the place as we drove to the Attic; to our final show. I love going to cafes. And there were so many in Dunedin! I wondered which one would be my favourite. 



The following day marked the beginning of my new lifestyle, and I found myself just standing there in my empty room. I need to decorate my room, I considered. I needed to design a creative space, and paint character into it. But that would have to wait. The first and most important thing to do, I decided, was to begin planning how I was going to make my new lifestyle work. Central to my plan was to not get a job, so I was going to need a firm strategy in place to ensure that my financial climate was under control until I was receiving income from my own work as a musician. With my red ‘business’ journal tucked into my bag, I put on my shoes and slipped out the door.

I glided down the narrow staircase; dashed out of the alley and into the street. I could already see 3 cafes from where I stood. 3 cafes! The Dog with Two Tails, Mazagran, and The kitchen Table. I decided to try the one called ‘The Kitchen Table’. It would be be my study for the next hour. 

The Kitchen Table felt as authentic as its name suggested. It had a very home-made vibe, and the lady behind the counter greeted me fondly, as if I had come several times before. I ordered a BLT bagel from the menu as well as a coffee for $20, and took a seat by the wide window that happened to overlook the whole street. A pitcher of lemon water sat right there on the table, inviting me to take a refreshing drink. It was perfect! I poured a glass and began sipping away as I brought out my journal and pen. It was time to begin planning my finances.

After jotting down a few ideas, my bagel and coffee arrived in generous portions. Thanking the lady, I put my pen to the side, and began chowing down on the delicious bagel. How fortunate to have such a great cafe only a block away! I thought gleefully. With only crumbs left on the plate, I picked up the pen in my right hand, coffee in the left, and continued my notes. 

After some time, I came to the conclusion that in order for this lifestyle to succeed, I was going to have to be very frugal with my finances. I needed to save every spare dollar. With that written, I took my last sip of coffee, and spooned the rest out of the cup. Wiping froth from my moustache, I was considering another. It was so good!


 — — — 

Four weeks later

I glanced out my window and up at the small sliver of skies peeking through the wooden floorboards of the Pit. “Dark already? Man, I can’t believe it!” I turned off my keyboard. I had been so engrossed in my practice session that I didn’t even notice how much time went by. After setting up the Creative Space a few weeks prior, my practice sessions were definitely more empowered, and I was getting a lot more done. The Quest lifestyle was really working out! I figured that at the rate I was going, I could be earning money from my work in no time!
Feeling well and truly accomplished with the day, I decided to put on my shoes and head on out of the Pit. I deserved a treat! I slipped out the door before Tommy or the others noticed, and hurried up the wooden steps 2 at a time, leather bag bouncing against my back. Up and then down the narrow stairs, through the alley, and out into the street. Straight to the Dog with Two Tails - my new local. From my snug abode, it was a mere 2 minutes and I was there. 2 minutes! It may as well have been our second lounge. Well, I guess it was…

Dog with Two Tails had quickly become my favourite due to its unique vibe and consistently good food/coffee. I was dropping in more often than not, just to sit there with a coffee and watch the world go by, or do some writing in my journal. On this night, it was almost full, and I had to weave my way through a small crowd listening a man reciting poetry at the front. The dude behind the counter greeted me so casually that any bystander would know I was a regular. “Yeah good thanks man, how are you? Can I please get a mocha?” Their mochas were the best. “Yeah sure bro. Do you want anything else?” He asked. I made a cheeky glance to the cabinet. The cheesecake looked pretty damn good. I had practiced pretty well that day… “I’ll get that cheesecake too, thanks.”

“Sixteen dollars.”

I snuggled up in the corner of the room with my mocha and cheesecake, feeling content. I ought to treat myself more often, I thought gleefully, slurping at the decadent mocha. What a great way to end the day! 



— — — 

Four weeks later

I rolled out of bed; collapsed on the floor. It was later than I wanted it to be. Nevertheless, I went and had my shower, and proceeded to the kitchen for my morning bowl of cereal. I reached for the box of cornflakes and gave it a shake. Empty. “Ah damn.” Never mind that… I grabbed the plunger, reached for the bag of coffee, gave it a shake. Empty.

“What a great way to start the day….” I told the messy flat. Of course, nobody responded, because nobody was there.

It looked like I was going to have to buy my breakfast again. So, I slipped on my shoes, slung my bag over the shoulder, and headed out into the day. I plodded down the narrow staircase and found myself on the street, watching as busy people carried about their busy day. They looked so sprightly and alive… How I wished to feel that way. Well, I can… later. After breakfast, maybe. And a coffee… Yes… I shuffled over to Dog with Two Tails and tossed my bag on one of the outside tables. Then, I proceeded to go in and buy myself a coffee and a veggie scroll for $11. I didn’t even have to order it; they already knew what I was having. 

I sat there munching one half of the scroll as butter melted on the other half, wondering if perhaps I should have gone to the supermarket and bought my breakfast there instead, which would have thus provided me breakfast for the following 10 or 20 days without spending a dollar more. “11 dollars. I can afford that, I suppose…”

The coffee was particularly good that day.


— — — 

Four weeks later

It was with renewed confidence that I published ‘Stuck on Her’, my first proper attempt at growing my Youtube channel. I believed that it was the key to my financial redemption, certainly after busking had failed me as a legitimate source of income.

The next morning when I woke up, and every hour thereafter, I checked my phone again and again to see the progress my new video was making. By my 5th look, it had received its 30th view. That’s all it got. Wait, I’ve checked 5 times, so does that mean it only has 25 views plus me?

For all my hope and all my efforts, 25 people clicked onto the video. Building up my Youtube was my last option to make money as an Artist, and all I got from my first instalment was a fat dosage of disappointment. No comments. No subscribers. Only 25 views…  To think I could earn money from it by this stage would be the definition of madness. I glanced pitifully at the piece of paper that had the list of songs I wanted to film and record, and flung it to the side. It was hopeless! That list is never going to earn me money, even if I film and record all of them!

Sitting there in my room, failure began to consume me. Where there was once motivation to practice my instrument, defeat took its place. I wanted to do this; I felt like I had no choice but to work on fulfilling my Quest. And yet, doing so was proving to be damn near impossible. After finally making a video, which I thought looked and sounded great, nobody seemed to care. Well, 25 people did. But likely only a quarter of them watched it to the end. Down in the Pit, I wallowed in my glum mood. I didn’t want to accept failure. I still held on dearly to my so called ‘Quest’, for whatever it was worth.

Only one thing could pick me up. Putting on my shoes, I took myself down to The Dog with Two tails, and ordered my usual. $11. Sitting there sipping my coffee and writing in my journal had become my ultimate comfort. But despite that, it was at that moment that I realised, in an assault of shock, where all my money was going. It was going to the latte!

I was a poor bastard addicted to going to cafes. The work I was doing was failing me. I had no control over my finances, and I was in serious trouble. 

It was time to get a job.


"Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship" 
Benjamin Franklin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d