Skip to main content

Chapter 5: The Search for an Answer


I held the thing in my hands as if was an idol. A sacred treasure. It was, to me. 


It was a thing of magic. A hideaway I could escape to, away from the billowing dramas of my life. It was a friend who was always by my side, who listened calmly as I babbled on about my problems, and didn’t hold the slightest judgement. I embraced this thing ritualistically, in my own corner of the Pit, folded into the layers of Dunedin city. A simple thing though it was, only now was I coming to understand its true power. 


I placed it on the pile of its forerunners and reached for the next one. It was bound in a pack of three that cost me only five dollars: there was a red one, a blue one, and a black one. I only used the black one, out of a desire for consistency. The red and blue ones were beginning to clutter my storage space - the pile would keep growing so long as I ploughed through the pages of the black ones and required a new pack within the month. I would need to find purposes for those… I looked down upon my new journal, wondering what story it would tell. How do I even begin? I thought as I opened the first page, whirling the pen through my fingers. 


The first page. How am I to introduce this chapter of my life? Where do I start? 


My journalling had evolved since my first scrap-book of a journal. That worn old thing was a confused jumble of thoughts, ideas, and rigid attempts to describe my surroundings. Not to say that was a bad thing - it was a start. Seven or so journals later, I had embraced a story-telling approach. I wanted each journal to tell a complete story. My journals had become living, breathing reflections of each chapter of my life. But now, my life had taken a turn I didn’t expect. The decisions I thought would lead me to personal victory had in fact resulted in disaster. It was July 2018, of the year I had declared to walk my own path, upon an unshakable conviction that I could make a living doing what I was born to do. But trying to establish a life as a full-time Artist - a Writer, Pianist, Composer, Videomaker - was proving to be impossible. My so called ‘Quest’ crumbled before my very eyes, and I was left on my hands and knees scrambling to fix my big mistake. I was trying to get work, but it seemed that my attempts only lead to dead ends and disappointment, as if I was in a maze with no way out. And so, I had no choice but to turn to the government for financial assistance. It was now my third week on the benefit, earning just enough. No, not ‘earning’. What had I done to ‘earn’ my weekly $250?


I shook my head, annoyed that I went off track. Chewing my pen, I thought about how to sum up this introduction. Then I set my pen into motion, etching my first few words into my eighth journal. I’m optimistic and hopeful by nature… I wrote. I can’t just sit here and watch my life continue its descent, like an aeroplane nose-diving into the ocean. In no time, my pen soared and flitted across the page, energised by hope. It was clear: I wasn’t going to let the struggle throttle me as if I was some hopeless mule. I needed to find an answer to my problems - and I was going to find it. I marked my name and the date at the bottom of the page, as usual, and read what I had written. Perfect, I thought. This journal was going to tell the story of how I found my answer. But the answer itself was yet a mystery. I closed the journal and tucked it into my bag. The sun would be rising soon, so I put on my boots, donned my colourful jacket, and left my room.


The other corners of the Pit hadn’t changed much, except that it was more gloomy. It seemed darker, less homely. Or perhaps that was just the winter seeping into the wood. Tommy was still living in the lounge, their ‘room’ separated from the kitchen by a taught string and make-shift curtains that were really just musky old bed sheets. Despite countless attempts to contact the landlord, their actual room still hadn’t been cleansed of its mould, which shambled along the walls like some awful disease. The inside-room (it had no windows) was now a chaos of feathers, after Tommy had torn open a pillow. Nobody had made any attempt to clean it. What was the point? We didn’t mind Tommy living in the lounge anway… The others must have just left, I thought, noticing just Tommy up in the loft, absorbed in the record collection. We had been up all night. I made brief chatter with Tommy, grabbed an apple, and headed on my way. 


Outside our main door, bloated rubbish bags were piling up. The guts and refuse of the past two months we were too lazy to deal with. They were heaped against the chicken-wire fence that cornered off the gaping hole, which dropped down into the depths of the building. It didn’t look out of place alongside that strange cavity. It was accursed to our eyes. A mystery. The way our lives were deteriorating, I wondered what was really down there, wafting into our home, tampering with our livelihoods. As I began climbing the damp wooden steps out of the Pit, I wondered… 


It was still dark, yet the distant skies framing the tallest buildings were peeling back with a bit of quiet light. I headed down into the city via the thin metal staircase, and walked the empty streets. It was remarkably peaceful and still - I didn’t expect to find anybody at this hour. The odd seagull eyed me suspiciously as I marched past on my way to the Octagon. Over the road, the street cleaner (that always seemed to remind me of Mr. Tumnus from Narnia) was already at work, his lifelike street-vacuum ’Glutton’ trailing behind him and grumbling. That guy is the silent hero of Dunedin, I thought.


The Octagon was still fast asleep. Even after 5 months of living in Dunedin, the place still had me bemused. Why was there ever an Octagon here? What did it signify? It begged questions in my mind, but sometimes I wondered if I was just being childish for thinking it meant anything at all… Still, there was something about it that I couldn’t quite wrap my head around. The statue at its crown looked strangely life-like in the coming dawn as I marched past, heading up the hill. The town belt - that’s the place I had in mind. I would get a good view of the sunrise from up there.


With each step I climbed higher above the city, I pondered over the answer I would find, the answer to my struggle. Perhaps it was to just work even harder on my own creative projects; put even more time and hard work into my writing, my music practice, my video-making. That was definitely on the cards regardless… Yet, earning a living from my creative work still seemed impossibly far away. I would continue the job search - that was a requirement for the benefit. There was always SHEEP…


I reached the town belt as the sun’s morning glow began settling into the near skies. The bush looked deep and rich in the early light. I followed the spindly road that wound through, and abruptly stopped at a little gap in the trees. It revealed a vista of North Dunedin, responding to the call of the morning - cars puttered through the streets, orange and purple lights hummed, cyclists trickled along. With the sun rising up behind the distant hills, it was a mesmerising sight. There in my little nook in the town belt, I noticed something peculiar about what I was seeing. A straight line, directly in front of me. A road that wasn’t a road, it cut right through the residential block. And cut through the next residential block, and the University, and beyond. A remarkably straight pathway, as if this block of town had been constructed beside a giant ruler. Or… perhaps it was just my imagination.



I snapped a photo anyway, and carried on along the bush lane. I did think about that answer I was going to find. And about Dunedin. “It just gets creamier and creamier,” someone had told me recently, when I expressed my affinity for Dunedin. Since my first visit, I believed in this place and its magic, its mystery. I had almost forgotten the very thing that had me spun me into this place as surely as a knitting wheel spinning yarn.


And right then, somewhere within the brush of the town belt, I was curious beyond curious. Perhaps my answer was hidden somewhere in Dunedin itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d