Skip to main content

My thoughts on navigating lockdown

Hello friends.

Firstly, I just want to sincerely thank anybody who comes here to read my stories. In light of everything going on in the world, you would still come here and spend your time reading whatever I have to say. For that, I am infinitely grateful. Really, it means a lot to me.

So, I have this blog. I have this small channel here where I can tell stories and reach some people with my words. So I figured that I should make the best use of it in this unprecedented time, to offer whatever support I can in regards to the 4 weeks ahead. For most of us, we are entering a very strange and uncertain time. Here, I’m going to briefly discuss some things that I believe are important for navigating times like these, and help us keep calm, keep creative, and keep balanced.

1. Spiritual Practice

I believe that the most important thing for us to focus on in a time like this is spiritual practice. I’m seeing these words ‘We can’t go outside, but we can go inside,’ being shared around, and I absolutely agree. Now is the perfect opportunity to turn inwards and really connect with our true nature through meditation, Qigong, etc. It is a chance for us to search within ourselves for where we are going wrong in our lives, to correct our faults, and to strengthen our character. Moreover, meditation helps keep us calm and balanced during a time when the world seems to be in a shambles. I would like to share the practice that I do every morning: Falun Dafa.


Falun Dafa consists of 5 simple exercises that can all be learned through instructional videos on the website. There is also a book that we read (that can also be found on the website), which offers us moral guidelines and encourages us to improve ourselves and strengthen our character by aligning with the highest principles in our universe: Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance (Zhen - Shan - Ren). I have been practicing Falun Dafa for almost 2 years now, and I am deeply grateful for having it in my life. It helps me find inner peace, balance, wisdom, health and physical/spiritual well-being. I would recommend it to anybody seeking a spiritual practice to keep them grounded and calm during times like these. The Falun Dafa website has instructional videos and recordings of the exercises, and is a wealth of lectures and wisdom!


2. Routine

Our lives need structure. For most of us, the pandemic has quelled the momentum in our lives and shattered the structure that kept our daily lives in good shape. This is quite dangerous, because it makes us more susceptible to slipping and falling into old unhealthy patterns, habits and lifestyles that we removed from our lives for good reason. If your daily structure has been swiped from beneath your feet, then I highly encourage you to design a plan for your days and weeks ahead, and a daily routine that you can stick by.

Personally, I’ve recently discovered that if I get my morning routine on point, then I have won the day. How we spend the first few hours of our day will inform how the rest of the day will go. I think that getting up early, doing some exercise, meditating, journalling, or doing anything that is good for our mental well-being sets us up for a healthy and productive day. 

We need to do everything in our power to enforce our own routine. Physically writing a daily schedule is pretty powerful - 7:00 Rise. 7-8 exercise. 8-9 breakfast and journalling, etc. Putting our phone on the other side of the room so we can’t sleep in. Taking a cold shower. Tracking the days which we stick to our routine. Noting how we feel when we stay true to our routine compared to when we don’t… If we are serious about our routine we will find ways to stick to it. Now is an important time to stay diligent, and stay disciplined. A daily routine helps with that. 

3. Projects and Practices

Having a routine is all good and well. But what are we meant to fill our daily routine up with? Here comes in the importance of having projects and practices. With so much time on our hands over the next month, we have an opportunity to really focus on some of those projects we’ve been meaning to sink our teeth into, as well as to practice our craft. 

Projects eliminate boredom. They give us something to work on, to think about and ponder over, to be creative with. Projects offer us an escape from the chaos unfolding in the world - our own little bubble that we can step into and spend the hours, perhaps creating something that can genuinely help people in these time. We all have a gift, and a passion for something. Now is the perfect time to embrace these yearnings within us, to answer the creative calling and to start working on things we’ve always daydreamed about. We’ve all got ideas. Moreover, projects, particularly creative ones, give us something to pour our feelings, thoughts, and emotions into. During these times, we might be going through a lot emotionally, and so having some kind of outlet is critical for working through those emotions and transmuting them.

Practicing is yet another brilliant way to spend our time. Lockdown = practice, if you ask me. We have so much time to practice and hone our craft. If you don’t have a craft, find one, and then begin practicing. If you have a craft, amp up your practice tenfold. With 4 weeks ahead of us, we can really make great progress on our crafts and skills, and create some awesome stuff with them. Moreover, practicing keeps the mind focussed and sharp.


— — —

These are my 3 pieces of advice for navigating these times. I hope that some of these ideas can help you on your journey, and give you some thoughts as to how to spend your days in the next 4 weeks. Of course, we all choose how we want to live our lives, and ultimately, I’d say do what makes you happy and absolutely spend quality time with the people you are with.

As for me, I’m going to continue with my story over here. I’m heading into Chapter 5 of my story now. It does feel kind of silly writing about my life in a time like this. But my memoir over here is one of the projects that keeps me busy, and is how I practice the craft of Writing, and so I’ll be continuing it usual. Once again, thank you so much for reading. 

Good luck, and I’ll see you on the other side!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d