Skip to main content

Why am I even writing this? What is the point?

Hello!


Welcome back to The Heroes Journey! My ‘blog’…? Not really a blog anymore. 

A lot has changed.

19 months have passed since I published the introduction to ‘The Heroes Journey’. It was on the 21st of March 2018 that I completed that piece of writing and clicked ‘publish’ with trembling fingers. That was shortly after settling into Dunedin following the New Zealand Sheep tour.

I could never have anticipated what the blog would become, how it would evolve, and what I would learn from it. I had a vision for it, which was to write about some interesting experiences from my own life journey as a way to discuss this concept of ‘The Heroes Journey’. What I didn’t expect was to end up genuinely writing and telling my whole life story from the moment I left home on my adventure to Queenstown in 2016. I tried my hardest to make it at least half interesting, not a bore, and not too extensive or detailed.

…52 stories later…

Yeah… I apologise about that. That’s a lot! It’s not really a blog anymore. This here is my memoir! I’m just glad I’m writing it now while the memories are still ripe. I heard that my grandpa is starting to work on his memoir now. I’m only 22 years old and it took me 52 stories to write through just 3 years of my life story. Grandpa David is 84. I can’t even imagine…

But why? Why am I going to such lengths to write my life story? Who even cares? I often ask myself these questions; it’s so easy to forget the bigger picture. But I will say this right now: Writing this has been the single most profound project of my whole life. It is and forever will be my ultimate project as an artist and as a person. As for the reasons why, I will gradually divulge them as I continue with the story. For the sake of bringing up this topic though, I may as well mention one big reason why I write so extensively.

Practice! This is how I am practicing the craft of writing and story-telling.


Chapter 3: The Prophecy and the Pilgrimage was a huge challenge for me. It was the story of quite a major chapter of my life journey, as it involved the culmination of my childhood passions, my auspicious move to Dunedin, and the discovery of Falun Dafa all through a light-hearted band tour across New Zealand. So I really wanted to tell the story in the best way that I could. What was particularly challenging about it was writing the characters - Tommy, Toby, Ethan, Fish, Mouse, and of course, lest we forget, the Emerald Wagon. Portraying my friends accurately and doing them justice as people was damn near impossible. I tried to capture Tommy’s stage-presence and mojo with words as best I could, but fell hopelessly short. Some things are intangible, and simply indescribable. But I tried, and it served as tremendous practice for my writing! 

As far as my writing goes, this blog is only just the beginning. I am yet to start writing Epic Fantasy novels! You know, those huge, beefy books telling the epic tales of heroes and dragons, magic, and all that good stuff? And so my blog here is not only the medium through which I practice towards that goal, but it is also telling the story of how I get there. 

— — —
If you have been following my blog for some time, you may have noticed that I have these interludes between the Chapters. It offers me a chance to take a step back from the story and just discuss various things in a casual manner, and so I will always include them. 

Of course, I wanted to thank everybody who has taken the time to read my story in its entirety or a few selected passages. I understand they can be quite long. Moreover, it is such a personal thing I am doing here, and it has been extremely difficult to come to terms with the fact that I have made my life an open book. But I am 3 Chapters and 52 stories in now - I am committed. I cannot turn back. I can only continue to charge forward.

And so, with all that said, I can now start writing Chapter 4! The story of my own short-sighted foolishness, disguised as a ‘really good idea!’

Have a blessed summer, and I'll see you on the other side!

Josh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d