Skip to main content

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown.

I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano!

Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost.


Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was defeated by copious amounts of alcohol, left gasping for air in my stuffy room. My emotions were running rampant, and I didn't have my friend to confide in. It was on the third week, however, that I consciously decided to stop feeling sorry for myself, and find inspiration out in the world!

"It is Queenstown after all - the Adventure capital of the world. I am bound to find magic here!" I said to myself, slinging my brown leather satchel over my shoulder. The magic of life is found in the places and within the people! But I didn't know that yet, and I sailed into the Queenstown waterfront a novice with a quest. What I discovered was something plucked straight out of a fantasy movie.

It was AJ Hickling!



This photo was taken roughly 34 minutes after stumbling upon the magic. I had seen nothing like it.. a piano, outside?! My narrow ideas about what the piano could be were kindly shown to the door by this epic man, whose fingers were dancing on the mythic keys of his familiar. Together they were making magic - his music was like the lapping of waves under a shimmering full moon. I was enraptured.

I shook his wise hand, and left a pouchfull of silver and a paper note in his treasure chest in exchange for his solo piano album - In the Field. As I headed on my way along the waterfront, his music echoed in my mind, and Queenstown tasted fresh and aromatic. It felt as if AJ Hickling had poured a peachy riesling into my soul.

His music was the greatest gift. It was a sanctuary in my stuffy room, a sacred space where I could reconnect with the majesty of the piano. When college work started to put a weight in my stomach, I could listen to his music, and let it wrap me up in a blanket and fly me to the meadows, where the grass is golden and the crickets yearn. His music made me feel safe. And loved. In the Field was an artefact which I treasured. It was a portal key - pure wizardry!



But the man behind the music was the real inspiration. He had done the impossible! He was living a life of magic! It was because of him that an entire novel of possibilities and ideas opened up in my mind. In my first semester of college, I started to dream. And certainly not about hospitality.

I dreamed of being in the streets of Vienna, caressing the evening vibe with a piano, artist by my side - a show of wonder and enchantment. I dreamed of journeying through the extravagant world, equipped with a piano and a van, and a companion by my side who I could play music to. I dreamed of Joshua St Clair and his magical adventures!

Dreams are nice, but you have to wake up eventually. And I had only just started my hospitality course in college! It was a field that wrapped me in a tight suit instead of the cloak of piano tone. But I can't complain, because if it weren't for the college, I would have never stumbled upon the enchanting Queenstown and its piano wizard in the first place. Also thanks to the college, I was granted an opportunity to spend 8 months on Hamilton Island, where I cultivated my dream and harnessed my own talent on the piano. I worked hard to be like AJ Hickling, and even produced my own original piano album, called 'Melodies for Mum'.


When I returned to Queenstown from my journey in the tropics, I was one step closer to the magic.

I wanted to be welcomed back to Queenstown in mystical fashion, and so I went to the place where all the ceremonies are happening - the waterfront! AJ Hickling was still there with his good friend, as if they had never left - both as charming as ever. It must have been my lucky day, because at the bootleg of his friend, there was a sign that said 'performance at 7pm, church hall'. How perfect!

After an irresistible cup of double espresso ice-cream from Ms Ferg, I sauntered down to the church hall, and plopped myself right in the middle, just in time for the musical incantation. I was taken on a flight through the mountains and valleys of the South, and yet I remained seated the whole time. And it was more than just a recital of some tunes. It was story time with my Queenstown hero! AJ spoke fondly of his music, and it was as if he was speaking directly to me. I had evolved from a novice to a keen explorer who wanted to entwine music and adventure, and I felt like Peregrin Took under the dazzling light of Gandalf the White!

After seeing and hearing what AJ had done, my dreams felt more possible than ever!


This photo was taken at the turn of the evening. I couldn't believe that I was actually enjoying a beer with the legend himself! I was extended an invitation by the girl who was sat next to me - isn't it serendipitous how things work out when you are steadfast on a dream?


Many times the true wonders of reality are right before our very eyes, but we are just unaware of their shimmering magnificence.

In my final two semesters of college, I was toiling with my own understanding of art and life. My fascination with these continued to deepen, and I was trying to solve them as if they were cryptic crossword puzzles. I was looking elsewhere for answers, not realising that the biggest clue to these puzzles was AJ Hickling. He was romancing the Queenstown waterfront the whole time, and yet I still didn't acknowledge the immeasurable wisdom of what he was doing.


It took a lot of inquiry and meditation until I arrived at the same insight as I did the day I stumbled upon the magic - that inspiration is found out in the world! So I made the Queenstown waterfront my new home, cuddling into the benches and bathing in the entertainment that was cascading from the plethora of performers.

The wisdom of AJ's performance was starting to dawn on me, and as I lulled to his beautiful music, I began to recognise some wonderful truths. Him and his music were perched gracefully at the crossroads of all my most cherished values in life - beauty, adventure, and freedom. He was embodying a synthesis of life, the world around us, and art. A noble street performer, giving giving giving, and only asking for your appreciation of life in return.

His music breathed connection to source, connection to the people, and connection to the world around us. Now that is passion for life if I ever saw it! AJ Hickling was proving to me time and time again that my dreams were very possible, as long as I decided so.

And so there I was, another Queenstown folk, studying Hospitality but wanting nothing more than to share my own passion for the life and its magnificent beauty. And I wasn't going into it blindly - I had a secret mentor, a hero.

Thank you AJ!

Please, I invite you to enjoy AJ Hickling and his magical performance here.



Send AJ some love! For he is truly a Queenstown hero!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au