Skip to main content

Constructing the Bigger Picture

My ego was splintered.

I sat in my college lectures feeling aggrieved, not wanting to hear what the teacher had to say about financial statements. I felt like a cat getting scrubbed. I wanted 'Joshua St Clair' to work out so badly, but it just didn't. Thinking about my failure was like taking shots of whiskey.


I had already adventured far and wide - hacking through the jungles in Queensland and conquering the mountains in Queenstown. I must have accidentally convinced myself I was the king! But it was humbling to realise that I was no more than a little squire whose greaves were too big for him.

It took me a few days to accept the fact that 6 months of college still loomed above me. My dream of freedom was still half a year away, and the only way there was through a military obstacle course. But the true warrior does not shy away from a challenge. He charges in like a rhinoceros.

I started to chew the fat of my circumstance, and correct my attitude. It was just not the right time for Joshua St Clair yet, and I was starting to recognise that this was actually a good thing. I still had a lot more growing to do as an artist and as a human being, and this excited me.


My life purpose and my brand 'Joshua St Clair' needed to undergo some editing - I was only on the first draft. So I sought council in what I considered my roost - the Queenstown gardens. Sitting on park benches, I watched the world go by as if it were a snow globe. Earny was blowing on his pipe, and the waves were coming to embrace the pebbled beaches. It was so pleasant. With the trees doing yoga around me and the breeze patting me on the back, I turned inwards and started to self reflect on the matter.


My fundamental flaw was impatience. This was like a hole at the bottom of a teacup. I was thinking far too small, and far too short term. To expect to just suddenly appear like a knight in shining gold armour to the world was madness. I had no foundation, my skills were still weak, and I didn't have a true vision for where I wanted to take 'Joshua St Clair'. I was fixated on the cracks of one step, and I had lost sight of the entire staircase.


Everything was put into context when I realised that Joshua St Clair was not some destination - it was a journey; a story I was living and telling. I started to take deep breaths, filling my lungs with the fresh mountain air. My initial efforts to get Joshua St Clair up and running were not in vain. I was just hopping onto the first lily pad of a hundred lily pads. In fact, this was the most important step to take - the first one - because now I was officially committed to crossing the pond. If I was going to reach the other bank without falling in and getting mangled by alligators, I would need a mindset that would keep me balanced the whole way. It was a case of developing my long term thinking and constructing the bigger picture.


As you may have noticed, I love metaphors - I use them to strengthen my understanding of important elements of life. And in regards to constructing the bigger picture of Joshua St Clair, the metaphor I generated has helped me greatly and will continue to be my guiding lantern.

I was building a puzzle. 


With my initial attempts at Joshua St Clair, I was trying to assemble a puzzle I didn't even have the pieces to. Heck, I didn't even know what the final image looked like! In reality, all I had was the 4 corner pieces and a handful of border pieces. I had obtained them during my adventures on Hamilton Island, and they were the basis from which the frame could be built.

I became aware that I could consciously shape the final image of the puzzle, and the pieces would materialise in accordance to that specific image. My actions today would determine how dazzling the final puzzle would be in 30 years time. I wanted it to be proud and majestic like a king tiger; evocative like a flirtatiously colourful parrot. The ultimate legacy awaited my keen spirit.

Thinking about it this way transmuted my defeat into excitement. It was candy for my adventurous soul. My focus now became about visualising the final image of the puzzle and then going out and finding the pieces. They were tucked away in the mountains, folded into the forests and perched on the top of cairns, all waiting patiently to be discovered.


It was a call for adventure, and I was ready!

Suddenly, a pile of papers slapped the desk in front on me, and my eyes flickered open. The last words I wanted to see were staring at me in bold letters: 'BUSINESS OPERATIONS PLAN'. My suit and tie were squeezing the breath out of me as I opened my bag and slipped it in with other such papers as 'INTERNSHIP REPORT' and 'LITERATURE REVIEW'. I gazed out the window, and the mountains were whispering my name. But I couldn't hear their invitations, because the college work was shrieking at me.

And so there I was, knee-deep in assignments I didn't want to do, and sinking. My dream was right in front of me, but I was stuck in quicksand right in the middle of Queenstown, tied down in the Adventure capital of the world. I took another swig of whiskey. And another...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Heroes Journey - An Introduction

Something deep within gently tugged at my soul, like a distant cry sailing in the wind. It was during my high school years that I become aware this. But I ignored it every single time, turning back to the video game that I played for my daily dose of fulfilment. Days became weeks and weeks became years, and the only thing I had to show for all this time was an sparkling clump of pixels on a screen. Through time, my distractions faded, leaving me unsatisfied and unhappy. Meanwhile, my core continued to knock, until one day I answered. It was the call for something far beyond the reach of my imagination, like a stone being tossed from the other side of a fence. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sensed that what I knew was but a speck of sand in a vast desert. I had a choice: I could stay where I was and continue to involve myself in these distractions that only left me unsatisfied. Or, I could endeavour on this quest, a leap of faith into the unknown. And it's take

Childhood Treasures

I was getting desperate. I need some kind of clue, I thought.  There has to be something here, something from my past that I’ve forgotten. My daily routine had crumbled, my finances in a shambles… I turned to my thoughts with conviction, as if I could think my way back to a normal life. No, maybe I can find the answer itself here. Why not?  Sunlight gripped my eyes, stealing me from my cycling thoughts. I grabbed my sunglasses and gazed out the window. It was the light from the morning sun, aggressively bright on the aeroplane wing. Beyond, Auckland city reached out to the horizon and beyond, as if someone had taken a giant knife and spread suburbia across the land. The plane swerved, and the sunlight slipped from the wing; the pilot’s calm voice welcomed us to Auckland City. I kept my sunglasses pressed against the window, eyes scanning my original home with fascination. It looked so different from last time I returned. Maybe it was because I was in the sky… I was returning to Au

AJ Hickling - My Queenstown Hero

I am a piano player who moved to Queenstown. I journeyed to the pearl of the south in January of 2016, arriving to study Hospitality Management at the town's resort college, and diving into college antics that same night. But as I guzzled peach flavoured vodka cruisers with new faces, I felt a moan in my soul - that feeling you get when you think you have forgotten something. I rummaged through my belongings that were loosely tossed into the wardrobe, and it quickly dawned on me - I had left behind my bond with the piano! Back at home, I would spend my evenings meandering with my friend the piano, sipping on wine and loosing crumbs of blue cheese to the carpet. I could lean on the piano when times were joyous and when they were rough. It was my guide, and without it, I was lost. Music is what gave me strength. An instrument is the ultimate companion! It can give such wise council to a man in need, and I severely underestimated this. I succumbed to social pressure and was d